Dome of the Rock
5 Pillars of Faith
Brief History of Islam
- Founder is Islam is the prophet Muhammad and began preaching in 613 BCE.
- Muhammad exclaimed that there is only one God (Allah) and that he is the chosen messenger to the people.
- Indigenous Arabs were generally polytheists
- There are 5 Pillars of Islam
- Proclaim that there is only one God and that his prophet is Muhammad
- Muslims should pray 5 times per day toward Mecca
- Provide for the poor
- Must fast during the month of Ramadan
- Make a pilgrimage to Mecca
- Expanded to North Africa, the Middle East, parts of Spain, India, and Central Asia by the 7th century.
- After the Mongol sack of Baghdad in 1258, the Islamic world split into 2 huge cultural divisions: East vs. West
- 2 principal divisions: Shiite vs. Sunni